Rex finally found his crow! One early morning in mid-August, I awoke around 5:30 AM thinking that I heard the cat meowing somewhere, as if she was stuck and wanted out. I asked Richard if he heard it, and he said "it's not the cat, it's Rex." I listened again and sure enough there was a muffled, one syllable RRRRRRRRRRRR that came from the back yard. It WAS Rex! We were all overjoyed, Rex was becoming a young man. Two days later, he added another syllable --RR-RRRRRRR. All of our family arrived for Kittypalooza that Friday (see post below), and enjoyed hearing Rex experimenting with his cocka-doodle.....
The following week, on Monday, I came strolling into our bedroom which has a window that looks out over the back yard. I was horrified to see our dog Skipper attacking Rex! I went running through the house and out the back door, screaming at Skipper. He did let go and Rex stumbled off into the bushes. I was sooo afraid he had been injured badly. He was in such shock he allowed me to pick him up. There was a huge hole in the back of his neck between his wings. I looked more closely, and discovered to my great relief that he only had a bunch of feathers missing and he was bleeding where they had been pulled out. The skin was not broken! Rex did not crow for a whole week. Bad dog, Skipper, very bad dog!
On Monday of this week, in the afternoon, Rex crowed again, picking up right where he left off, but added another syllable -- Rrr-Rrrr-Rrrrrrrrrr! Then yesterday, he discovered his full crow! Amazingly, I was able to capture it on video. You can't really SEE him in this video, but he is standing on the garbage can where their feed is stored, between the bird house and the hen house. Tsunade is running around at the door to the coup. You will hear the end of a crow at the beginning of the video, then a full crow at the end. It lasts only 25 seconds. Now if Rex could just figure out what time of day to limit his crow - he crowed all night when the dogs were out barking at the deer, who are on the move across our back property in this cooler weather! He crows all day as well - maybe there is more to come? Man am I sleepy!
On Monday of this week, in the afternoon, Rex crowed again, picking up right where he left off, but added another syllable -- Rrr-Rrrr-Rrrrrrrrrr! Then yesterday, he discovered his full crow! Amazingly, I was able to capture it on video. You can't really SEE him in this video, but he is standing on the garbage can where their feed is stored, between the bird house and the hen house. Tsunade is running around at the door to the coup. You will hear the end of a crow at the beginning of the video, then a full crow at the end. It lasts only 25 seconds. Now if Rex could just figure out what time of day to limit his crow - he crowed all night when the dogs were out barking at the deer, who are on the move across our back property in this cooler weather! He crows all day as well - maybe there is more to come? Man am I sleepy!
This is really neat! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLove, Mike and Nancy